The Commonwealth Governor’s School
Serving the Virginia Commonwealth Counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, and Stafford.
Based on a school-within-a-school model, the half-day program at The Commonwealth Governor’s School of Virginia utilizes real-time interactive audio/visual technology, field trips, and team teaching to create a regional community of learners.
Students from Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford school divisions are offered a rigorous program of study while interacting with other talented students in the region.
Students from participating high schools travel to one of the six Commonwealth Governor’s School sites: Colonial Forge High School, North Stafford High School, Stafford High School, Spotsylvania High School, Riverbend High School, and King George High School.
The Commonwealth Governor’s School curriculum is designed to challenge students in four major academic content areas, through problem-based instruction appropriate for gifted and highly motivated learners and to focus on the community issues of environment, development, and service.
From the Director’s Desk
In Their Own Words
The Commonwealth Governor’s School celebrates its 20th Anniversary in the words of its students.
“Undoubtedly the most outstanding gain from my years in CGS is the meaningful relationships I’ve developed with my teachers. They know me personally, rather than as solely a first and last name, therefore they know the best ways to help me learn and when additional guidance is worthwhile.”
Sarah SchaeferQUESTION: What CGS opportunities or learning experiences have been unique and valuable to you and why??
ANSWER: Two of my most prized experiences from CGS were the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's 50 Forward Student Leadership Program, and Virginia Space Coast Scholars. Both were opportunities presented to me through the CGS program, and both made the summer between my sophomore and junior years unforgettable!
- Gale Science
- AP Science Collection
- 2017-18 Student Handbook
- 2017-18 Student Profile
- ATTN CGS SENIORS! CGS PTO Scholarship application is now open! Please click here for detailed information! April 9th is the deadline!
- CGS PTO SNOWBALL, March 10, 7:00-11:00 p.m., Eagles Lodge, Fredericksburg. This is a huge event and parent support is essential!
- Senator Mark Warner invites high school students and their parents to ACADEMY DAY on March 24, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., The Paramount Theater, Charlottesville, Virginia. Students, please check your CGS email for further information!
- ATTENTION 9TH – 11TH GRADE CGS STUDENTS! Please fill out the attached CGS Student Intent Form for the 2018-19 school year, and return to your CGS teachers no later than February 23rd! We hope to see you in 2018-19!
- PARENTS!! Sign up for REMIND 101 and get CGS alerts sent directly to your phone or email! Get Instructions
- CGS PTO Membership Form
- CGS PTO On-line Payment form for membership and Spirit Wear
- CGS Promotional Video
- CGS: A Student’s Perspective!
- February 27, 2:45 p.m., CGS Spirit Club Informational Meeting, CGS Broadcast at all sites
- If you cannot attend the broadcast meeting, come to the Chick-Fil-A at Massaponax, 9900 Southpoint Parkway, on March 1, 5:30 p.m.
- March 10, 7:00 – 11:00 p.m., CGS PTO Snow Ball, The Eagles Lodge, 21 Cool Springs Road, Fredericksburg
- March 12, 7:00 p.m., CGS PTO Meeting, Rappahannock Regional Library
- March 27, 7:00 p.m., CGS PTO College Forum, University of Mary Washington, University Center Chandler Ballroom
- Philip Lambert, CGS Stafford Site – Perfect Total Score on the ACT, State champion – 2 mile run, National Merit Semi-finalist
- Jennifer Sprow, CGS Stafford Site – National Champion, Skills USA Architectural Drafting (as well as District and State Champion in the same category)
The Commonwealth Governor’s School
Regional Administrative Office
12301 Spotswood Furnace Road
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22407
Telephone: (540) 548-1278
Fax: (540) 548-1736