The Commonwealth Governor’s School
Serving the Virginia Commonwealth Counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, and Stafford.
Based on a school-within-a-school model, the half-day program at The Commonwealth Governor’s School of Virginia utilizes real-time interactive audio/visual technology, field trips, and team teaching to create a regional community of learners.
Students from Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford school divisions are offered a rigorous program of study while interacting with other talented students in the region.
Students from participating high schools travel to one of the six Commonwealth Governor’s School sites: Colonial Forge High School, North Stafford High School, Stafford High School, Spotsylvania High School, Riverbend High School, and King George High School.
The Commonwealth Governor’s School curriculum is designed to challenge students in four major academic content areas, through problem-based instruction appropriate for gifted and highly motivated learners and to focus on the community issues of environment, development, and service.
From the Director’s Desk
In Their Own Words
The Commonwealth Governor’s School celebrates its 20th Anniversary in the words of its students.
Grace Long"CGS has transformed me from an ordinary student to a highly motivated scholar, deeply invested in not only my education, but my future as a whole. CGS gives me the opportunity to develop close relationships with my teachers who are incredibly supportive, resourceful, and encourage me to make the most of my four years in high school. One of my favorite parts of the CGS program is our four year research journey, culminating. Culminating allows me to delve deep into my areas of passion through independent research that is both fascinating and gives us experience in advanced, college-level research. Our field trips and summer programs offer us the opportunity to see how what we learn in class applies to the real world, driving us towards potential career paths. CGS has developed vital life skills in me, such as the ability to manage my time efficiently, speak in front of large groups, write in a sophisticated manner, and implement leadership skills. CGS has unlocked my full potential and has me ready to tackle my future, confidently."
"One of the most valuable aspects of CGS is the relationships that I have cultivated with my teachers. Because I have had some teachers for over a year, they have been able to truly get to know me in a way that extends beyond just the classroom. Each time I walk into the CGS room, I am sure to have at least one of my teachers greet me and ask me how I am doing, or how dance is going, or when my next drama performance is. Because of CGS, I have formed strong bonds with my teachers that I know will last long after I graduate."
Ellen Phillips"CGS has really helped me grow academically and individually. I constantly tell my friends, 'I am so glad we're learning this; it will be so helpful when we're in college.' CGS strikes the perfect balance between learning for success and learning for knowledge. It has helped me grow my strengths and better my weaknesses."
“Undoubtedly the most outstanding gain from my years in CGS is the meaningful relationships I’ve developed with my teachers. They know me personally, rather than as solely a first and last name, therefore they know the best ways to help me learn and when additional guidance is worthwhile.”
Sarah Schaefer"Two of my most prized experiences from CGS were the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's 50 Forward Student Leadership Program, and Virginia Space Coast Scholars. Both were opportunities presented to me through the CGS program, and both made the summer between my sophomore and junior years unforgettable!"
- Gale Science
- AP Science Collection
- 2017-18 Student Handbook
- 2017-18 Student Profile
- 2018 Student Chesapeake Bay Watershed Leadership Experience. Sign up for the summer courses is now live, see link below. First come, first served – limited spaces available. CGS is not offering a summer watershed experience this summer – this is the only watershed opportunity…sign up now! http://www.cbf.org/join-us/education-program/student-leadership/summer-courses/
- ATTN CGS SENIORS! CGS PTO Scholarship application is now open! Please click here for detailed information! April 9th is the deadline!
- CGS PTO SNOWBALL, March 10, 7:00-11:00 p.m., Eagles Lodge, Fredericksburg. This is a huge event and parent support is essential!
- Senator Mark Warner invites high school students and their parents to ACADEMY DAY on March 24, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., The Paramount Theater, Charlottesville, Virginia. Students, please check your CGS email for further information!
- PARENTS!! Sign up for REMIND 101 and get CGS alerts sent directly to your phone or email! Get Instructions
- CGS PTO Membership Form
- CGS PTO On-line Payment form for membership and Spirit Wear
- CGS Promotional Video
- CGS: A Student’s Perspective!
- March 20 – CGS 20th ANNIVERSARY SPIRIT DAY! Wear your CGS apparel to celebrate 20 years!
- March 27, 7:00 p.m., CGS PTO College Forum, University of Mary Washington, University Center Chandler Ballroom
- April 9, 7:00 p.m., CGS PTO Meeting, Rappahannock Regional Library
- April 19, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., CGS Film Festival, Riverbend High School
- April 25, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m., CGS Culminating Symposium, University of Mary Washington, Stafford Campus
- May 8, 6:30 p.m., King George Cookies with the Commonwealth for newly selected King George and Caroline County CGS students, King George High School Library
- May 20, 2:00 p.m., CGS Senior Recognition Ceremony, University of Mary Washington
- May 22, 6:30 p.m., Stafford Cookies with the Commonwealth for newly selected Stafford County CGS students, Colonial Forge High School Cafeteria
- May 23, 6:30 p.m., Spotsylvania Cookies with the Commonwealth for newly selected Spotsylvania County CGS students, Riverbend High School Cafeteria
- June 1, 4:30 – 7:00 p.m., CGS PTO Family Picnic, Pratt Park
- Philip Lambert, CGS Stafford Site – Perfect Total Score on the ACT, State champion – 2 mile run, National Merit Semi-finalist
- Jennifer Sprow, CGS Stafford Site – National Champion, Skills USA Architectural Drafting (as well as District and State Champion in the same category)
The Commonwealth Governor’s School
Regional Administrative Office
12301 Spotswood Furnace Road
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22407
Telephone: (540) 548-1278
Fax: (540) 548-1736