Mission of The Commonwealth Governor’s School
CGS is an Academic Year Governor’s School whose mission is to provide gifted and highly motivated high school students a challenging, differentiated, and interdisciplinary academic program of study in the core subject areas of English, mathematics, science, and social studies using non-traditional activities supported by technology at their CGS site.
- To develop students who are prepared to succeed at the post-secondary level.
- To develop students who are life-long learners, possessing critical thinking skills and individual and team problem-solving skills.
- To develop students who are risk-takers and who will lead, participate in, and contribute to democratic and global societies.
- To provide students with a learning environment that is active, student-centered, and adaptive to students’ individual learning styles and interests.
- To provide learning experiences that are investigative, broad-based, and/or thematic, and integrate multiple disciplines into the area of study.
- To encourage self-directed learning, self-understanding, and cooperation in the pursuit of new knowledge.
- To provide students opportunities for choice in extended instructional activities.
- To provide students opportunities for interaction with other communities of learners.